“If you don’t want to do something, one excuse is as good as another. “
– Yiddish Proverb
Do you want to learn an almost fool-proof way to stop procrastinating, stop making excuses – and finally make progress on that project that’s been nagging you and mocking you on your todo list?
Then read on for a powerful technique that I learned from Seth Godin.
Drop Your “If Only”
I was rereading Linchpin this weekend and came across this nugget:
Corporate coach Deanna Vogt challenged me to fill in the sentence, “I could be more creative if only …”
“If only” is a great way to eliminate your excuse du jour. “If only” is an obligator, because once you get rid of that item, you’ve got no excuse left, only the obligation.
I could see the situation more accurately if only …
I could lead this tribe if only …
I could find the bravery to do my art if only …”
– From Linchpin by Seth Godin
What’s Your If Only?
The question I want you to ask yourself today is:
What’s the “if only” that’s holding you back?
- What’s the single piece of information you need?
- What’s the single thing about circumstances that needs to change? (Perhaps, that you need to take action and change)
- What’s the single reason you can’t accomplish the most important item on your todo list?
- What’s your if only? What’s making you procrastinate? What’s your excuse?
And then, get out there and do it. Drop your if only. Get it off your back, so you can get to the work that really matter.
Fare forward, and do the great things you were meant to do
Stop being held back by how you could accomplish what you really desired, “if only.”
This isn’t the end – it’s only the beginning. If this article has struck a chord with you, first please tell someone else about it. Tweet it out, email it to a friend, send someone a message or an IM – they’ll be glad you did.
Second, here’s a hand picked selection of articles to continue with similar themes and lessons that you’ll enjoy. Check them out, and if you haven’t already done so, make sure you get your free copy of personal development 101.
If you like what you’ve seen so far, and want to make the most out of your life, take a moment to read the details about my course The Action Solution and see if it’s something you’d be interested in. Check it out here: The Action Solution.
Personal Development Articles
- Inspirational Quotes About Life
- Lincoln Jordan and other “Famous Failures”
- Best Personal Development Books
- The Harvard 3% Written Goal Study
- Covey’s Time Management Matrix
- How to Stop Wasting Time Online
- How To Get Motivated Motivational Tips Techniques
- Speaking in Public Guide to Overcome Public Speaking Anxiety
- Life Rules: Rules For Life